Wednesday, December 29, 2010
While IQ tests and other assessments can help identify giftedness in school-age children, kids are also commonly identified as gifted by the observations of families, teachers, and friends. Below are some of the many characteristics that gifted children often exhibit, adapted from a detailed checklist from Austega.
Note: no one gifted child exhibits all the traits.
1. Has early interest in words and reading
2. Has exceptionally large vocabulary for their age
3. Learns rapidly, easily and efficiently
4. Is curious about objects or situations, asks provocative questions; enjoys exploratory activities
5. Has an unusually strong memory, but is bored with memorization and recitation
6. Is flexible in thinking patterns; makes unusual associations between remote ideas
7. Is independent
8. Has a wide range of interests
9. Demonstrates unusual reasoning power
10. Likes structure, order and consistency
11. Show unusual degrees of originality, concentration and persistent hard work on projects that capture their interest and imagination
12. Is perceptually open to his or her environment
13. Has an advanced sense of humor
14. Is sensitive to the feelings of others
15. Shows more interest in creative effort and new activities than in routine and repetitive tasks
16. Shows an intense interest and aptitude in an artistic activity, such as drawing, singing, dancing, writing, or playing a musical instrument
17. Is intellectually playful, interested in fantasy, imagination
18. Acts as a leader among children of their own age
19. Tries to excel in almost everything she does
20. Senses when problems exist; always trying to adapt or improve things
Sunday, May 09, 2010
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
the day i left for atlanta was rusty 9th birthday. i nearly forgot all about it. text him on flight to get some durians for rusty and wished rusty happy birthday.
sasha is turning 7 in 2 days. planning for a trip to the dog run if weather permits and i am not too tied up with work.
Friday, July 17, 2009
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
ryan loves playing with the dogs and the dogs love him too. actually, i think they love the cookies and whatever food they can steal from him or that came off from his mouth.